Monday, February 16, 2009

Knack for Writing

I started my college career working on a degree in Mechanical Engineering and after the first semester in the program, I knew immediately this was not a career for me. Since I am not the type of person who just gives up, I continued my studies for a few more semesters. After two and a half years, I had finally had enough and then realized that I was back at square one: what was I going to do now?

I spent the spring semester at community college taking general classes and some that interested me, one of which was Electronic Graphic Design. Having taken a graphic design class in high school, I decided this could be fun. My professor assigned us several projects, a few of which were advertisements. By the end of the semester, I realized that this was the career for me.

I enrolled in the Mass Communications program back at VCU and started the program that summer. I worked my way through the two year pre-major courses in two semesters and finally started on the courses that dealt with the rest of my life. I studied design, copywriting and media planning.

With various options available to one seeking a degree in Creative Advertising, I was almost positive I wanted to pursue a career as an Art Director. Then I took copywriting. I always had a knack for writing, though I had never enjoyed writing papers and essays because they were so formal and complex. I like to believe that I think and speak in a simple way, and when I discovered copywriting, I finally understood my place in the world.

Having graduated about two months ago, I have yet to submit my résumé, cover letter and samples to potential employers, but I'm enthusiastic about the job search.

No comments: