Monday, February 23, 2009

The Importance of a Handshake

Everyone knows actions speak louder than words, so when we're meeting someone for the first time, it's important to make sure your actions are reinforcing your words; i.e., the handshake.

I know too many people my age who give the wimpiest, bones-fall-apart-in-your-hand handshake. If you want to convey insecurity and uncertainty, then you know what to do. Think about it, is this how you really want to portray yourself to others? You never know who's hand you're shaking. This person could be your next boss.

With that said, I always give a good, firm, structured handshake. It screams confidence and a firm handshake from a female will always be remembered. If you want to further analyze, it shows that you're not afraid to put yourself out there and take initiative. A handshake can mean a lot of things but should never exude your insecurities.

I recently shook a guy's hand and he said, "Wow that's quite a firm handshake." I get this comment often from males. Don't worry, guys, I'm not crushing your bones, I'm just making sure my hand holds its structure. Anyways, this guy follows his comment with, "It just means you're making up for something." Insult me if you will, but if a firm handshake means I'm making up for something, what does it say about you?

No comments: