Thursday, May 6, 2010

Stuck...on what?

Are you ever running late for work, hair frazzled, outfit half wrinkled, rushing because you're late, and you somehow manage to get your shirt stuck on the doorknob, as if it's trying to tell you not to go?

That's a slightly more dramatic metaphor for how I'm feeling about life in Richmond. I was born and raised here and have only lived elsewhere for two months out of my 25 years. I'm not someone who craves routine, so it almost feels torturous to have not tried living anywhere else.

I have always wanted to just pick up and start fresh but always felt as though something is holding me back. This past year has put a lot of things into perspective and I've learned that life really is too short to settle for anything less than what you've dreamed of. Everything you know and everything that is comfortable can be changed in an instant, which just reinforces the ideal that we should never take anything - or anyone - for granted.

I refuse to be that person who wakes up one day and realizes that I haven't done any of the things I've wanted to. Which brings me to my next thought: what do I want to do with my life?

I want to live my life. I want to live in another city. I want to get a job doing what I love. It's time to accomplish something.

No comments: